Eve’s Women in Leadership – Meet Ruth
Please describe your responsibilities at Eve & Co?
I am a lawyer and legal advisor to Eve & Co. I address various legal issues arising at a publicly-listed cannabis company, including matters such as contract review, continuous disclosure, promotions and marketing and labour and employment issues.
- What is a common misconception you see about your job?
That it’s boring. (It’s not, I love my job!)
2. What is your favourite part of your job?
Solving problems and facilitating success.
3. What woman inspires you and why?
Martha Stewart for her resilience, expertise and business acumen (not her securities trading decisions). She’s able to pivot and move into new opportunities decade after decade and has made her brand synonymous with excellence.
Also J-Lo for her abs at age 50. That’s what hard work and zero sugar looks like.
4. If you could meet anyone, man or women, living or dead, who would you want to meet?
My father’s mother. She died when my dad was two and he can’t remember her. So I’d like to meet her and get to know her and learn everything I can. I’d also like to learn more about my dad and his brother and sister through knowing her.
5. What is your favourite thing about being a woman?
6. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
Dance well enough that my kids would put me in a TikTok video in a non-ironic way.
7. What was the best vacation you’ve been on?
Morocco for 3.5 weeks. It was a mix of surf and desert, mountain and ancient cities. The trip was modest, mostly unplugged and with a friend who has now since passed away. It was a profound trip and I discovered a favourite beach through our wandering.
8. What’s an interesting fact that not many people know about you?
I have perfect pitch.
9. What was the last TV show you watched and why did you choose it?
The Crown because Helena Bonham Carter is a terrific actress and was once my neighbour.
10. What is your phobia?
Erratically flying butterflies landing on me.
11. What is your favourite quote?
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11.
Also, “Do or do not, there is no try” (Yoda)
12. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Korean black bean noodles made by my mom (Ja Jang Myun).